Author Topic: Legends of Aethereus Weather System Demo (heavy!)  (Read 7092 times)

Håkan

• Administrator
  • Forum Admin
Legends of Aethereus Weather System Demo (heavy!)
« on: August 08, 2012, 06:55:04 PM »
Hello Forum Folks!

We are proud to present a demo of the Legends of Aethereus Weather and Time Cycle System. This will give you something for you guys to play around with while waiting for the game to come out. ;)
This web browser simulation demonstrates some of the dynamic weather models as well as the time cycle system. These systems help provide an engaging environment while adding elements of realism and variation, all combined to enrich your gaming experience.

As always we appreciate your engagement and feedback - we like hearing from you! :)

- To be able to use the LoA Weather Demo, you must download Unity's Web Player. You can  find it here:
http://unity3d.com/webplayer/

- The scene will start automatically.
- To enter fullscreen, right click and select "Go Fullscreen"
- To exit fullscreen, press Esc.

Legends of Aethereus Weather System
CONTROLS.

You can change the time of day to a specific time (dawn, noon, dusk or night) and also change the speed at which time goes by. At speed setting 0, time will stand still. You can also select a weather type; sunny, fair, gloom or storm.
To hide the controls, press "Hide". To get the controls back, press the button "Show" which is in the top right corner of the Weather Demo.

Q&A
Q: Why are you doing this?
A: In part to show the community what we're working on, and to give something back - also to get feedback from you guys.
Also it demonstrates our dynamic weather system and shows you how the weather can change your situation as a player.

Q: Nothing happens when I press reflections-button for the water!
A: Yes it does. If you up the speed of time, you'll notice the water reflects differently from day to night. If you're getting poor performance, it's recommended that you run your water on reflections off.

Q: There are red dots in the sky, what are those?
A: This can happen over time with built-in graphics cards. Just refresh the window and it should disappear.

Q: The water turned red, what happened?
A: This happens when you turn the reflections of the water on/off and switch back from fullscreen to windowed view. If you toggle the water reflections, it goes away.

Q: Why is it so slow?
A: This is a demo taken straight out of our game, which is currently in beta-stage. It can be a bit heavy on certain computers.
Help us out!

Right now we're in the process of completing our quest. We'd love to get your feedback on what kind of weather you like best! Please take a screenshot in YOUR ideal conditions, post it here on the forum, and tell us why you like that weather so much!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 07:58:23 PM by Håkan »
Life is a game, play it.

Drogoneye

• Everybody
  • Victory or Nothing!
Re: Legends of Aethereus Weather System Demo (heavy!)
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 11:20:08 PM »
Wow.....I'm beyond impressed. The weather changes are fantastic and I wouldn't change anything about it!

metaleroz

• Everybody
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 12:38:26 AM »
Will the worst weather conditions affect our movements and that of our projectiles, and will our visibility be affected also during gameplay?

Hyomoto

• Everybody
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 02:36:58 AM »
I've played around with it a bit and I've noticed a few things.  One, that shadows, god rays and reflections are the same despite the weather conditions; they only seem to affect the sky itself.  So, especially night, it is equally as light regardless of what the clouds are doing.  I know 'dark nights' are a fairly unpopular gaming choice, probably the number one thing people complain about "It's not dark enough!" or "It's too damn dark!".  If you take out the weather, I'd say your time cycle looks phenomenal; it's very cinematic.  I love the way the foliage moves.  The weather, however, starts to poke holes in the lighting engine.

My only questions about the system are, will the changes be gradual?  We just click on "STORM" and there it goes and even Minecraft got around to gradually changing to rain.  So will weather determined at the outset of a mission or is it randomized in real time?  I can see benefits to both.  Also, are we seeing the full range of present biome effects, and are there plans to add more in the future.  Ie: will there be missions that perhaps take place in winter areas?  Finally, will there be degrees of these presented weathers?  I'd love to see a typhoon or even just some light drizzly rain in addition to a range of overcast skies.

In regards to gameplay, I'd like to reaffirm some of the previously posed questions.  Will the weather affect gameplay?  Does the ground get muddy and slippery, or is lightning a danger during a storm?  Perhaps really hot days have a negative impact on your stamina?  High winds might be strong enough to affect projectiles or even player movement. 

As for the app itself, would it be possible to let us position the current time ourselves?  I recognize its a bit of a toy so I wouldn't ask you to burn a bunch of hours on it, but its odd that it looks like a slider, but you can't move it.

Maria

• Administrator
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 11:37:53 AM »
Will the worst weather conditions affect our movements and that of our projectiles, and will our visibility be affected also during gameplay?

Not movements and projetiles so much, but definitely visibility.  :)
Communication is key.

Maria

• Administrator
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 11:42:33 AM »
As for the app itself, would it be possible to let us position the current time ourselves?  I recognize its a bit of a toy so I wouldn't ask you to burn a bunch of hours on it, but its odd that it looks like a slider, but you can't move it.

I'm not ignoring the rest of your post, but this bit I felt I had to answer right away! The "current time"-slider IS a slider! You should be able to click and move it to a time you like. I just tested it again and you have to click kind of high on the button.  :)
Communication is key.

metaleroz

• Everybody
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 01:26:07 PM »
Thx Maria.

Hyomoto

• Everybody
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 02:00:15 PM »

I'm not ignoring the rest of your post, but this bit I felt I had to answer right away! The "current time"-slider IS a slider! You should be able to click and move it to a time you like. I just tested it again and you have to click kind of high on the button.  :)

Ah!  So it is!  Damn, now I feel foolish.  I thought I'd fully tested it before making that post, but alas, I did not.  Thank you!

jonregulo

• Everybody
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 12:06:04 AM »
Night + Storm = puuuuuure immersion.

Can't wait to play this game. I'm already imagining myself doing a quest, walking by a forest, late at night, with that storm... oh man, it will be awesome.

Zuben

• Everybody
  • Kitchen - MY area
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 01:46:06 PM »
wonderfull.... i would like to have that as my desktop background.... really good...
I neva du spelign foults!

dgagnon99

• Everybody
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2012, 11:58:41 PM »
This demo provides a lot of insight as to the potential of the game.  I can't wait to see the beta.