Author Topic: Q&A Main Thread (FAQ)  (Read 11794 times)

Maria

• Administrator
  • Forum Admin
Q&A Main Thread (FAQ)
« on: July 21, 2012, 02:27:27 PM »
In this thread we'll gather up all the questions and answers from the Kickstarter, as well as new questions that may come in. Will be updated as we go along.  ;)

Any questions you might have that are directly related to the Legends of Aethereus Kickstarter goes in this thread. As questions add up we will gather the common ones to create an FAQ in this post.

Q: What are the shipping costs for my rewards?
A: We will not charge extra for shipping. We have already included these costs into the rewards so we will not be charging any backers “extra” for shipping to any region.
So all shipping costs are 100% covered by us.

Q: I want more stuff! Can I up my pledge to your Kickstarter?
A: Sadly, no. You can still help us out though! Be an active forum member, follow us on our Facebook and Twitter... we always appreciate it when you guys spread the word about us and our game!

Q: Why are there two different $25 levels?! What's the difference?
A: We realized this caused some confusion, so we will include all the rewards of both levels, weather you choose the Buddy Pack Level or the Solo Hero Media Pack Level. So at either of the $25 levels you will receive: a digital art book and a digital audio download including the LoA Main Theme music, Arena Last Stand Theme and in game sound effects. Plus, two digital copies of the game (one for you and one for a friend) at release and your name in the credits as an Officer.

Q: Is there an inventory system? How does that work?
A: Yes, we have an inventory system that has four main areas: gear and weapons, materials, gems, and items. We have drag and drop and click/button combinations to equip, sell, and move things around.

Q: Are there physical crafting materials? How do I find and gather them?
A: Yes, the crafting system has physical materials. The crafting system breaks each item up into sections. Each of these sections has several templates to choose from. For example a sword has three sections: the handle, guard and blade.
Each material grants different properties and have different weights, which affects the final product (a heavier sword may cause more damage and knockback, but will be slower to swing, for instance.).
Materials are the main drop from enemies and monsters. So you can accumulate materials from grinding in quest levels or simply buy or trade for them at shops.

Q: Do enemies drop loot?
A: Yes enemies drop loot. The looting system has a lot a variety depending on the quest type and context of the situation. In general we will be dropping more materials to be used in crafting than items.

We have also added customizable quests so if you are in need of say, platinum to make an awesome helmet, you can request a quest that will focus on acquiring platinum.

We wanted to make the loot system work so that you are focused on things you want and need. We want to avoid the situation of constantly having to go back to town to trade in five thousand useless orc bows because your inventory is full.

Q: Is there any type of trade system in place for selling or giving crafted items to your Co-Op friends?
A: Yes there is a simple trade system that allows you to trade with other players. Both players place the items in the trade slot they want to and hit ok to both agree and the items are exchanged. We are also working on a fast “give” feature that will allow you to give something to another player in a quicker manner for use in combat and more intense situations that require speed.

Q: Do enemies respawn?
A: No, we do not have enemies come back to life through respawning.

Q: How many slots of gear to equip on your character?
A: Character slots: Helmet, Main Armor, Necklace, 2 rings, gloves, boots and then right and left hand equipped. We do have the ability to alter these either before release or even in a patch after if the need arose for changes.

The system incorporates a quick change between two hand equipped kits. So by hitting “Q” you can quick change from say: Sword (right hand) and Shield (left hand) to a two handed range weapon like a musket (right hand and left) or any other kit you have equipped in the secondary kit set-up.

Q: What are the system requirements for playing Legends of Aethereus?
A: System requirements are still being determined. We'll be looking to poll the community on their systems so we can try and tune it down as well as up so we can hit the widest number of people.

Q: Can you continue playing the same game after the main quest has been finished?
A: Yes you can continue playing.
First off you can do this by going to one of the quest givers using the customizable procedural quest generator system. So you can play these generated quests in theory forever.
You also have the opportunity of playing several game types within the arena.
Lastly and most important is that we intend to provide plenty of new content so that there will be plenty of new quest lines that extend the story and allow players to explore new story trees.

Q: You mentioned that there is a statue creator and customizable banners. You also elude to further customization within Nexus-CityState, care to elaborate on what that may be?
A: We have been working on a few options. Some of these are more passive in nature. As an example depending on what quests you have completed or have open their will be a different configuration of NPCs inhabiting the Nexus. So if you are in the middle of the quest line where you in a heated battle with the Venata you might notice more Venanta soldiers within the city.

Other options are more player controlled and include being able to customize the NPC characters or clothing, changing the weather types and adding small objects or areas.

Q: Projectiles- Are they expendable? Do you eventually run out or is it unlimited? Do we have to craft more?
A: Musket Bullets and arrows are unlimited and free. In the current testing we have found that it was better with this set-up. This could be altered should the need arise.
Other specialty projectile skills such as the javelin cost material. So you have a choice of materials for the skill javelin.
For example an iron javelin will be very heavy and expensive, but will do a lot of damage. So iron is probably not a practical material to use for javelins on a standard basis but it might be great to kill a boss or other special enemy.
The rest of the time it will more practical to use a material like birch that is cheap and common.

Q: Are weapon enchants/particle effects on weapons in the game? That would be awesome.
A: Yes all the weapon and gear types have the capability of gem infusions. These items have particles. So the main gem effects will be visible using particle effects. Also when you do for example venom or fire damage on an enemy there will be a coinciding particle effect.

Q: To certain enemies have vulnerabilities to different types of attacks?
A: Yes some enemies will be practically impervious to certain damage types but all things have their weaknesses. The trick is finding it.

Q: Are there consumables in the game? Potions?
A: Yes! Mushrooms, herbs and fruits are located throughout the wilderness of Athereus. Two examples are: Kisom Plant that has a healing effect and the Meadowskull Mushroom that has a combat power buff effect.

Q: I have backed your project on Kickstarter. What do I have to do to claim my rewards?
A: Nothing at all. You've backed, that's all you needed to do!  :) Kickstarter gives us a list of all those who pledged, and as soon as rewards are ready to be delivered (like if you pledged $15 and thus get a copy of the game, you have to wait for us to finish it first!) we start sending them out!

« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 12:52:23 PM by Maria »

Drogoneye

• Everybody
  • Victory or Nothing!
Re: Q&A Main Thread (FAQ)
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 05:49:34 PM »
Awesome!!  8)

Naska

• Everybody
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 09:47:17 PM »
Are expendable weapons like javelins recoverable?

Maria

• Administrator
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 10:45:18 PM »

Currently; no, instead you use materials you've found to make new ones as you go along.

MaximB

• Everybody
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 07:45:27 AM »

Currently; no, instead you use materials you've found to make new ones as you go along.

It could be a very good idea to make them recoverable.
I remember a very old game in which you could actually recover your arrows (which weren't unlimited), it helped very much.

Arthur Vonloksly

• Everybody
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 04:19:19 PM »
How many materials will be there to make weapons and armors, and will ALL the armors/weapons be craftable with all materials? Thanks.

Hyomoto

• Everybody
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 10:59:18 PM »
If I can piggy back off of Arthur's question; I was wondering what the effect of those materials are on the finished product.  I know it's common to say 'gold is better than silver', but that might damage the player's customization since they are forced to use materials they may not be interested in to 'keep up'.

Mainly, I'm wondering if the materials  have properties like the pieces; eg: is an aluminum blade lighter than an iron blade?

MaximB

• Everybody
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 07:39:22 AM »
If I can piggy back off of Arthur's question; I was wondering what the effect of those materials are on the finished product.  I know it's common to say 'gold is better than silver', but that might damage the player's customization since they are forced to use materials they may not be interested in to 'keep up'.

Mainly, I'm wondering if the materials  have properties like the pieces; eg: is an aluminum blade lighter than an iron blade?

I don't think it would be wise to use an Aluminium blade in real life ;)
Same as it won't be wise to use Gold as Armor (not because it's expensive, but it's not durable).

But yeah, your question is interesting.

Maria

• Administrator
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 01:11:28 PM »
How many materials will be there to make weapons and armors, and will ALL the armors/weapons be craftable with all materials? Thanks.

Materials come in three different categories: woods (used for handles and such), metals (used for armor pieces, shields and blades) and soft materials (for armor, boots, gloves and such).
So the materials can't be used on EVERYTHING, for instance you can't make a sword with a leather blade. But all the metals can be used for everything where metal is to be used, and so on.  :)

Maria

• Administrator
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 01:16:57 PM »

Yes. Some materials are heavier than others and the finished item you craft will therefor have more weight than if you had crafted it out of something lighter.

I wouldn't say "gold is better than silver", it's more about what you need. I mean, if you're playing a small and nimble character, you don't want a super-heavy axe - you want a light and fast sword, because it will serve you better.

Hyomoto

• Everybody
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2012, 02:01:47 PM »
That's pretty much what I had figured, but I think I did a poor job asking my question.  My specific question is are some materials inherently superior to others?  E.g: mithril is super light, more durable and holds an edge better than steel.  Or are certain materials better suited for specific weapon qualities?

Philippe

• Everybody
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2012, 03:43:58 PM »
On a side note, gold is also kinda heavy for an armor and an aluminum blade might be bad for fighting, but could save the environment if you are a good sport and recycle.

Arthur Vonloksly

• Everybody
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2012, 06:45:34 PM »
Materials come in three different categories: woods (used for handles and such), metals (used for armor pieces, shields and blades) and soft materials (for armor, boots, gloves and such).
So the materials can't be used on EVERYTHING, for instance you can't make a sword with a leather blade. But all the metals can be used for everything where metal is to be used, and so on.  :)

First of all thanks for the answer, here is another question: Can we know all types of woods, metals and soft materials just before we play the game? (maybe if not all the names of them maybe just how many there are in the world of LoA?).

Naska

• Everybody
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 09:39:42 PM »
Thanks for the answer Maria.  Now I have two new questions for you.  Are some materials going to be rarer or harder to get than others and what are gems used for?

Philippe

• Everybody
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2012, 10:58:42 AM »
Naska: For the first question;
Yes some materials are less common than others in the world of LoA.
Gems enhance weapons or armor with different energy forms or can be powdered into strange concoctions or even bombs.