Author Topic: Know your Blades: The Gladius  (Read 8212 times)

Anthony

• ThreeGates Developer
Know your Blades: The Gladius
« on: June 06, 2013, 07:39:32 PM »
Ever wanted to see some of the inspiration for swords, blades, and more in LOA? Well today I'd like to go over the "Gladius" and it's origins, modern day equivalents and even the Blade as it appears in game. Shall we get started?

So, what is a "Gladius?"
Put simply, "Gladius" is the Latin word for "Sword", however this word was used to describe the main form of arms carried by a Roman Foot Soldier. This sword style saw service with Roman soldiers from as early as 4th Century BC to as late as the 3rd Century AD. Or for those unaware, from 400 BC to 200 AD. The sword was short, at least compared to swords we know from England such as the long sword which was on average 120–150 cm (47–59 in) in length. The Gladius however was 64–81 cm (25–32 in) in over all length. This no doubt afforded the foot solider with a blade more capable of being used in confined areas, but as such required the solider to close distance with his enemy.

Let's take a look at a Roman Gladius shall we?

What an amazing piece of work, don't you agree? This style of blade was fast, agile, and used in most situations as a stabbing weapon. That V-shaped blade could no doubt pierce any enemy and run them clean through, graphic I know, but hey it's what this blade was known to be best at doing.

Here's a little known fact,
Did you know that the Romans adopted this sword when they conquered Hispania way back when? They were so impressed with this blade that they adopted it, refined it, and made it into even more of a fierce-some weapon than it already was.

Here's a modern day Roman Gladius for your viewing pleasure,
*Image from art-of-swords.tumblr.com*

Lastly, let's take a look at one of my own personal Gladius blades from in-game,

Yeah, that's a pretty epic looking blade isn't it? Fast, deadly, and agile.

Would you like to know more?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gladius