Author Topic: The MMO discussion thread  (Read 4073 times)

Maria

• Administrator
  • Forum Admin
The MMO discussion thread
« on: November 08, 2012, 01:28:03 PM »
A discussion about MMO's arose in another thread and I thought I'd take it here instead... what do you guys like about MMO's? What do you hate? Who did it well, and who missed the mark? Which ones do you play? Which ones do you stay away from?

It was mentioned in the other thread that instancing and grouping were fun bits, but that the player preferred to do their leveling solo, and that's what sparked me wanting to make a new thread.

Speaking as a gamer (not as someone working to help build LoA into something utterly awesome ;)) I agree on some parts of this; I also played mostly by myself even in MMO's and only occasionally grouped to do bigger dungeons and such. My games of choice were among others WoW (who hasn't played WoW, kind of), but I really got sucked in by Everquest 2. I stopped playing a long time ago though (don't have the time!).
What I also liked about EQ2 was the crafting/gathering... almost more so than the questing/pure looting.  :)

So have at it! What MMOs do you play and why?

metaleroz

• Everybody
Re: The MMO discussion thread
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 03:14:13 PM »
I am also mostly a solo player and that was the way I was playing WOW also I would interact with everybody but the majority of the time everyone lower lvled are just asking for help taking away time for you to keep questing/grinding to be able to lvl up. Before that I got hooked with Perfect World and as in all MMO's I would enjoy the looting but I found myself enjoying harvesting and crafting my own potions and equipment much more. I do agree it is fun to quest or dungeon crawl with a group but I like my alone time but I did join a clan and I did get to know a lot of cool ppl and my char was a tank so I was akways helping out everyone in my guild or making friendly alliances with other ppl in other guilds a just raising hell against enemy guilds but in the long run I don't spend every moment of the day playing online cause I have my responsibilities as a father so I game any moment I can. I carry around right now a sony psvita cause I am always travelling due to my work, I work offshore in the oil and gas industry as a field supervisor and I got a ps3 back home so I am dividing my time between those two console and my love for pc gaming. Latest pc gaming activity has been revisiting some oldies that were recently on sale at the GOG website, the Baldur's gate series, the Everquest series, Stonekeep which I love, and that have been updated to run on more recent OS. I have a lot of expectations for LoA I know I will enjoy playing it specially with people I have met in our forum community.

Zuben

• Everybody
  • Kitchen - MY area
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 03:45:28 PM »
WOW FREE ME!

that will NEVER run on my pc^^
other mmo´s i love to play in groups, also with ts and so on. there it does not care how many people are there, just what for people are there...
atm i play rift and i think it is a good game because there is a lot of content. i think there isn´t anything worse than no end content (watch swtor...)

greets zuben

metaleroz

• Everybody
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2012, 03:17:00 PM »
I haven't tried Rift yet but it is on my to do list might see you ingame Zuben.

metaleroz

• Everybody
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2012, 04:49:36 PM »
One if the first online rpgs that I got into was Ultima Online but I moved on long ago but I might get back into it since I have seen the devs are updating the game doing a major overhaul and such. After that my brother and me got hooked with Mu online which was just grinding day in day out and pvp massacre and all lvls that is another oldie really basic but we had fun.

Zuben

• Everybody
  • Kitchen - MY area
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 03:32:23 PM »
to young me to play Ultima online..... startet gaming with aoe1 (i know that is also very old but i did not played since release date^^)

Maria

• Administrator
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012, 03:16:44 PM »
I went back to EverQuest 2 a while ago, they had some sort of "play for free"-deal (this was before the f2p came in, so it's a while back...)... but they had changed SO many things it was really hard to come back! Haven't played played ultima or Rift, but I think Rift might end up on my "when-I-have-time"-list of games. :)

metaleroz

• Everybody
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012, 07:11:10 PM »
Rift just been written down on my to do list, anyone play Runescape?

Zuben

• Everybody
  • Kitchen - MY area
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 08:09:28 PM »
no--- only heard bad news on runescape

Kenjitamura

• Everybody
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 07:14:01 AM »
I started playing rift pretty soon after it came out but I haven't played in over a year so I'm not sure what it's like now.  Back when I was playing it was really easy to level a character to max level which at the time was 50, took my characters a month each to hit 50.  I had a level 50 cleric and a level 50 rogue before leaving the game, I got the cleric T1 geared and the rogue most of the way T2 geared but thats as far as I got in that aspect.  I left about the time that they released crafting recipes that produced T2.5 gear, insanely expensive to buy the materials and very difficult to get the materials yourself.

What I liked most about the game was that the dungeon bosses all had pretty fun mechanics you had to get used to before you could beat them.  Like the expert mode Konstantin boss fight was fun to do.  During the fight the room would have spikes coming from the floor and the walls and if you were standing over them when they'd come out you'd lose like 1/4 your health each time and it interrupted casting, this would happen all over the room so the tank, dps, and healer all had to dodge them.  Also, the boss would enrage every two minutes or so and the tank would have to kite him while thats happening because he could 2 shot most tanks.  There was also a stage where the room would very quickly and sporadically shoot out spikes in all of the sections at the same time and so it was impossible to avoid and the group just had to eat the damage.  And finally after a certain amount of time the boss would perma-enrage which would pretty much mean it was over so it was a race to dps him down before that  would happen.

Nedwin04

• Everybody
  • We like to do it 2% Jazz, 98% Funky Stuff
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 11:47:47 AM »
I tried Rift a year ago and didn't like it much. The most enjoyable mmo I've played is probably Age of Conan, mostly due to it's free combat; I don't like point and click combat at all.

Hi everyone by the way, I'm new here. Found LOA today when I was checking through Unity's forums for any interesting RPGs. I seem to have missed out on the kickstarter though, nevertheless I'm glad it got funded!