Author Topic: Legends of Aethereus is now on Steam Greenlight!  (Read 8134 times)

Maria

• Administrator
  • Forum Admin
Legends of Aethereus is now on Steam Greenlight!
« on: August 30, 2012, 11:34:23 PM »
Greenlight opened it's doors only a short time ago, and here's our humble page! Vote us up! Help us be one of the games that goes up on Steam and becomes a roaring success!

Legends of Aethereus on Greenlight

metaleroz

• Everybody
Re: Legends of Aethereus is now on Steam Greenlight!
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 04:51:54 AM »
You can count on my vote.

cadwal

• Everybody
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 04:02:46 PM »
I'm going to be honest.

It's not that I want to be the negative Nancy on this forum, I'm just looking at Steam's closed interface and how they just made it 10x less friendly toward Indie developers.  I am of the mindset that if we look at their Greenlight model and apply it to the majority of games on Steam that a majority of the "big" indie developers would never have had their break.  Project Greenlight is an awful system in its current state and if the current vote requirements are to be trusted (100k required votes to be approved), then this game will never meet the 100k mark. 

In fact, I don't believe any real indie developer has any chance to ever have their game approved on Steam without some miracle or serious marketing power.  Based on everything I have seen so far, 1 in 10 people will generally vote yes on a game, and that ratio even holds true for Slender: Source at this time, which is currently has the highest percentage of yes-votes of 8%. 

For this reason alone, I think you should consider redirecting your marketing efforts to more Indie friendly sites like Green Man Gaming, Direct-to-Drive and Amazon.

cadwal

• Everybody
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 04:06:46 PM »
I am of the mindset that if we look at their Greenlight model and apply it to the majority of games on Steam that a majority of the "big" indie developers would never have had their break. 

Sorry for the double post, I want to amend this statement.  I'm personally of the mindset that a majority of these "big" indie developers would probably never have their software published on Steam again under the current Greenlight model.

Zuben

• Everybody
  • Kitchen - MY area
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 04:12:50 PM »
i postet a yes... and will say to all my freinds that they should, too.... i think (and hope) it will work...

endasil

• Everybody
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 06:54:43 PM »
Well seem like we have an interesting challenge then. You have my vote. i will spread the word and do my best to get more people to vote!

Philippe

• Everybody
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 10:36:20 AM »
Lets get LoA top voted and worry about the 100k later if you ask me. =)

Hyomoto

• Everybody
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 07:01:42 AM »
Just to note of it, Steam Greenlight is to gauge marketability and demand.  Just because you make 100k votes, there's no guarantee that Valve is going to accept your game.  Nor does the lack thereof show it either.  Any game on Steam is likely to enjoy a boost in sales, and most indie games didn't start there anyways.  Also, to quote the Steam Greenlight, "If getting your game on Steam is the difference between eating and not eating, you've already made mistakes."  Greenlight is just meant to be a way to let the community express interest in a project in a calculable way.

So vote for them to show your support, but don't get caught up in numbers and figures.  Valve already stated there is no 'hard number' that ensures success.

cadwal

• Everybody
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 01:20:49 PM »
Just to note of it, Steam Greenlight is to gauge marketability and demand.  Just because you make 100k votes, there's no guarantee that Valve is going to accept your game.  Nor does the lack thereof show it either.  Any game on Steam is likely to enjoy a boost in sales, and most indie games didn't start there anyways.  Also, to quote the Steam Greenlight, "If getting your game on Steam is the difference between eating and not eating, you've already made mistakes."  Greenlight is just meant to be a way to let the community express interest in a project in a calculable way.

So vote for them to show your support, but don't get caught up in numbers and figures.  Valve already stated there is no 'hard number' that ensures success.

What someone says and what they present are two separate things.  Valve presents the image that 100k equals Pending status since the they have set distinctive positions of "Pending" and "Accepted".  The pending status implies that the game has reached 100k votes, or as they *say* has caught their attention.  The most successful games, which consist of a total whopping 2 above 20% at this time, on Greenlight have not caught the attention of Valve developers to the extent to reach 'pending' status.  That says something in itself and implies Valve is waiting for some more arbitrary figure to be achieved, thus unfortunately does not support what they have said themselves.